Friday, September 3, 2010

I am finally back in the US after two weeks in Israel

Greetings.

Jewish date:  24 ’Elul 5770 (Parashath Niṣṣavim-Wayyelekh).

Today’s holidays:  Laylat al-Qadr (Islam), Ramadan (Islam), Feast Day of Gregory the Great (Roman Catholicism), Feast Day of St. Wendy O. Williams/St. Lawrence Welk (Church of the SubGenius), Buresloth (Discordianism).

Topic 1:  I am finally back in the US after about two weeks in Israel.  The experience was simultaneously thrilling, scary, exciting, insane, confusing, and inspiring.  Not to mention tiring.  After I got home yesterday, I spent an inordinate amount of time sleeping.  But I did come back with good reason to believe that I can find work in Israel, and I am now determined to move there.

Directly relevant to this blog, I got to see a nice slice of (mostly Jewish) religious life over there, which I hope to do some blogging about next week, possibly running over into the week after that.  I lodged in Yerushalayim (Jerusalem), about 30 minutes away on foot from the Western Wall, and so I managed to visit the Western Wall and other places in the Old City.  I also managed to visit Tel ’Aviv, Ḥayfah, Nethanyah, Be’er Sheva‘, and Qiryath Shemu’el.  I have seen synagogues and Judaica stores.  And for some reason there was a good deal of Jewish graffiti, which surprised me and will probably have a post dedicated to it.  Please be patient.  I have a lot of photographs to sort, and I need to get my ideas better organized.  Not to mention I have competing things to do;  Ro’sh hashShanah, one of our new years (we have four) is coming up next week, and I have preparations to do.  Not to mention writing to various people.  But posts on Israel will come (YHWH willing).

Topic 2:  Since Ro’sh hashShanah is just around the corner, you may want to read about it at the Orthodox Union’s site.

Topic 3:  For today’s religious humor: “Conscience cat”:
funny pictures of cats with captions

Peace and Shabbath shalom.

Aaron
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment